I am a linguist who works in the areas of phonetics and laboratory phonology. Most of my current work is related in one way or another to speech prosody.
I completed my Ph.D. in the UCLA Linguistics Department in 2013. I am currently Associate Professor at the City University of New York (CUNY) in the following programs: the Undergraduate Program in Linguistics at the College of Staten Island (where my lab, the CUNY Prosody Lab, is located), the MA/PhD Program in Linguistics at the CUNY Graduate Center, and the PhD Program in Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences at the CUNY Graduate Center.
- The Accent Advantage in Phoneme Detection: Importance of Local Context, Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, September 2021
- Autistic traits predict spectral correlates of vowel intelligibility for female speakers. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, May 2021.
- Exploring the similarity between implicit and explicit prosody: Prosodic phrasing and individual differences. Language and Speech, November 2020.
- Preceding syllables are necessary for the accent advantage effect. JASA Express Letters, September 2020.
- Lower working memory capacity is associated with shorter prosodic phrases: Implications for speech production planning. Speech Prosody, July 2020
- Phonology, phonetics and signal-extrinsic factors in the perception of prosodic prominence: Evidence from Rapid Prosody Transcription. Journal of Phonetics, September, 2020.
Recent and upcoming presentations:
- Talk at Non-Canonical Questions at the Syntax-Prosody Interface (with Christina Tortora), Université de Paris (i.e. Zoom), 12-13 November, 2020
- Poster at LabPhon 17 (University of British Columbia, virtual), 6-8 July, 2020
- Colloquium talk, Institut für Linguistik (Goethe University of Frankfurt), November 13, 2019
- Frontiers Series talk, Department of Linguistics, Stony Brook University, 30th October, 2019
- Colloquium talk, Department of Linguistics, Rutgers, October 25th, 2019
- Talk at the International Congress of Phonetic Sciences (Melbourne, Australia), August 5-9th 2019
- Keynote talk at COFLIS (University of Bari, Italy), June 20th 2019
- Poster at Phonetics and Phonology in Europe (University of Salento, Italy), June 17-19th 2019
- Talk at the Hanyang International Symposium on Phonetics and Cognitive Sciences of Language (Hanyang University, Korea), May 24-25th 2019
- Lab talk in Lisa Davidson’s PEP Lab (NYU), April 26th, 2019
- Keynote talk at Experimental and Theoretical Advances in Prosody 4 (UMASS, Amherst), October 11-13th 2018
- Keynote talk at the 2nd Conference on Prominence in Language (University of Cologne, Germany), 11-13th July 2018